Wednesday 29 July 2015

Southpaw is a TKO for Sutter

Just when I thought Kurt Sutter could never top Sons of Anarchy, he blows my expectations out of the water with Southpaw. Kudos to the cast for an outstanding job, but major props needs to go to Mr. Sutter. His ability to explore the deep and dark parts of the human soul through his writing is both sublime and damping.

As soon as the movie began I said to myself this is going to be the movie that Jake Gyllenhaal wins his first Oscar for. He has described the movie in media interviews being about a relationship between a father and a daughter that is full of sacrifice.

I think in true Kurt Sutter writing fashion it extends beyond that to a man’s journey and in this film his journey is from the darkness into the light. It reminded me very much of the Jackson Teller character in SOA, which I loved so much, who was righteous, loyal and most importantly he made sacrifices to survive.

I saw Billy Hope’s journey through his fighting strategy.  At the beginning of the movie his strategy seems to be to get hit repeatedly in the face to let the rage build then he would strike. What Titus 'Tick' Wills does later in the film is mold Billy into the fighter Maureen always wanted him to be. Billy evolves to a calm and rhythmic fighter who keeps his face protected while waiting for his opening to strike which pays off for him in the end.

I admit I was anxious to see this movie, because I knew it was going to be emotional. The entire movie I fought the burning lump in my throat as I tried so hard not to cry for fear my husband, who was sitting beside me, would catch a tear rolling down my cheek and start to laugh. I did let one tear slip at the very end of the movie, but as I turned to receive my ridicule my husband was instead staring in silence at the screen as the credits rolled.


I think we can all relate to Billy Hope’s character and his constant struggle to survive every time he gets knocked down. Because it's not about being a skilled fighter in order to win, it’s about overcoming the sacrifices we make in order to get back up.


No comments:

Post a Comment