Thursday 6 August 2015

Forget fun in the sun this summer, I have no “Power” over my urge to stay inside and binge watch this show.

So I just recently discovered Starz's drama series Power. I know, I know it’s going into its third season, but better late than never because it’s fantastic.

The series is describe as: 
James St. Patrick, nicknamed "Ghost", leads two lives: the owner of a popular New York nightclub and an elite drug kingpin. He struggles to balance these two lives, and the balance topples when he realizes he wants to leave the drug ring in order to support his legitimate business, and commit to his mistress.

It has everything I love in a good TV show: plot twists, complex characters, a love story and beautiful cinematography.  Ghost is your typical protagonist who is at a crossroads. One road leads down the path of least resistance. The other path is a new life, a life he always wanted. He is torn between pleasing his best friend and family, and running away with his “alma gemela”, all while trying to maintain his power.

My favorite character from season one is definitely Tommy played by Joe Sikora. He adds a sort of comic relief that is borderline inappropriate, but his resilient loyalty to his family and friends and his desire for unconditional acceptance makes up for it.

If that isn’t enough to keep you entertained Ghost has a few antagonists to worry about including Curtis “50 cent” Jackson who is also the executive producer for the show. Be prepared to hear his music as the soundtrack for the series and see lots of promo shots of his merchandise. Plus they’ve added one of my favorite Entourage boys to the cast for season two Jerry Ferrara who plays Joe Proctor, a successful attorney with a dark secret. Seriously what’s not to like about this show.

There are only ten episodes in a season, so I think you will have time this summer between beach days and vacation to watch. I know I will be.



No comments:

Post a Comment