Monday 20 July 2015

High hopes for Trainwreck derailed (went just last night)

First off I want to make it clear that I love Amy Schumer. She is one of the funniest women comedians I’ve seen in a long time. Her parody music video Girl you don’t need make-up is freaking hilarious.  I also love how she portrays women in her writing as real, strong people who don’t need a man’s validation to feel whole. So when I saw the trailers for her new movie Trainwreck, I was excited to go and see it this weekend.

Ok…so…maybe I set my expectations too high. Now don’t get me wrong there were some knee-slapper funny parts and some tears-well-up-in-my-eyes parts, but overall I was a little disappointed.

Amy Schumer and Bill Hader were fantastic, but the rest of the cast left some scenes in awkward pauses in comedic timing.  Actually John Cena should get an honorable mention he was hilarious in this film, but the rest of the scenes with the support cast left out just that, support. It seemed Amy Schumer had to carry every scene on her cinematic shoulders in order to effectively delivery the punchlines. In the scenes where she did most of the talking or she was just with Bill Hader were great to the point that you could honestly skip the other ones and still understand the storyline. This is especially apparent in the “intervention” scene with Chris Evert, Matthew Broderick and Marv Albert that wasn’t funny. The whole time I was thinking to myself why is Ferris Buller in this movie.

I did enjoy this movie for the most part. I just wish I’d waited until it came on Netflix to see it instead of paying $12 to see it in the theaters. 

In case you haven't seen it: Girl you don’t need make-up video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyeTJVU4wVo



No comments:

Post a Comment