Friday 22 January 2016

The End of the Tour is a Work of Art

I saw on social media a posting listing the must see films of 2015 that were snubbed by the Oscars. The End of the Tour was one of them starring Jason Segel and Jesse Eisenberg.

Totally blown away at how amazing this film was and the superb acting by its lead, Jason Segel. He is the master at creating the perfect disastrous image of a man and I mean that as a compliment. 

I'll admit I never heard of David Foster Wallace or David Lipsky until I saw this film, but I don't think that matters. For me the film was about two writers trying to express themselves: one seems like he succeeds while the other envies him for it. A line from the film sums up this concept for me.

“He wants more for himself and I want what he has” – David Lipsky

What consumed me about this film was the conversations between the two main characters. I found myself wishing I was sitting in the back seat of the car, so I could chime in with a "Ya but" or "Don't you think". Instead I sat quietly on my couch listening tentatively with awe. 

David Foster Wallace in the film and I’m assuming in real life displayed the typical characteristics of all great writers like Hemmingway and Fitzgerald- tortured souls who wrote to release the demons that haunted them. Mr. Wallace seemed to be in a constant struggle between wanting to succeed with his writing, but fearlessly protecting himself from the letting the world in.  

Writing like all art is a vulnerable form of expression of one’s emotions. I can relate to Mr. Wallace’s struggle to find balance, because to truly express yourself means to expose yourself to the good, the bad and the ugly of the world. It reminds of a war and in a battle, some people thrive in chaos while others retreat to safety. To triumph completely is rare. 

If David Foster Wallace was still alive today, I would write him a fan letter thanking him for giving the interview to David Lipsky. Instead I’ll do him the honor of reading his works of art. 


No comments:

Post a Comment